Sunday, January 16, 2011

Frozen Pipes!!


I didn't know........................

I didn't know the temps were going down below zero. This is when Steve would start getting sick to his stomach in fear that something was going to break. Over 20 years we have tried, heat tapes, kerosene heaters, insulation, etc.... but because the pipes run along the wall, a brick wall, an outside brick wall! We have experienced frozen pipes almost ever year.
Now this year (and last) "I" fear. I thought I had this one this year. I got a nice gas stove working thinking this would take care of "all my problems"...... not the case.
I got up to -3 and I could feel it. I knew it wasn't good. Sure enough frozen pipes.
OK...
On the day when it's suppose to be my daughters day. We are looking at wedding dresses with her two best friends and then going to lunch.
I got to the bridal appointment late and didn't go to lunch. I spent several hours with my (well, he is everything right now to me, he is Steve's best friend) Glenn watching has he took a blow torch to pipes, teaching me every step of the way and "I WILL" do this by myself if it happens again.
Hopefully this will not happen again. I have been given the task to open up some walls and re-insulate. Next summer we are taking the piping into the middle of the house!!!

3 comments:

  1. The next time it happens, you can use your hairdryer instead of a fire torch. Open the faucet and begin thawing from it because if you start in the middle of the pipe, the steam will be trapped in it.

    - Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Darryl, that’s exactly what we did when our kitchen pipes froze. The heat pressure produced by a hair dryer can definitely melt the ice without harming the pipes.

    Linda Wise

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I have been given the task to open up some walls and re-insulate.”--- This will really help. The better your insulation is, the better protected your pipes are. You should take some time to check if it needs to be replaced or if it just needs to be improved.

    Gayle Manning

    ReplyDelete